In this episode: Scott is joined by Prof. Richard Kaeuper, author of Holy Warriors: The Religious Ideology of Chivalry for a conversation about the sometimes tenuous relationship between knights and the church throughout the Middle Ages, and how the teachings of Christianity affected the ideals of chivalry. Also: An interview with Sarah Wendell, co-author of Beyond Heaving Bosoms, about “romance novel chivalry”; and we want you to take our listener challenge!
Quicklinks – Buy the titles from authors interviewed in this show by using the following links:
Segment 1: Take the Listener Challenge
We want you to nominate someone for our list of Nine Worthies of Chivalry Today — nine individuals (living, historical or fictional) who represent the ideals of chivalry in action. You can suggest one, some or a whole list of nine names – each month Scott will choose some of the nominees to read on the podcast, and everyone who sends in a suggestion will be entered into our monthly drawing. Visit our Listener Challenge page for full details.
Segment 2: Ideology of Chivalry — Interview with Prof. Richard Kaeuper, author of Holy Warriors: The Religious Ideology of Chivalry
- Read a review of Holy Warriors, reviewed by Prof. Stephen Muhlberger, author of Deeds Of Arms and a past guest on the podcast.
- Buy Holy Warriors: The Religious Ideology of Chivalry at the Chivalry Today bookshop.
Segment 3: Romance Novel Chivalry – A Conversation with Sarah Wendell
What are the three elements that comprise the “trifecta of awesome” on a romance novel cover? Sarah discusses this, and other (more serious) elements of the romance genre in the video below:
- Read Chivalry and Other Romantic Behaviors on Sarah’s blog;
- Buy Beyond Heaving Bosoms by Sarah Wendell and Candy Tan at the Chivalry Today bookshop.
Next month on Episode 39: John Clements, director of the Association for Renaissance Martial Arts joins us to talk about historical sword combat and the code of chivalry.
- Conversation With: Dr. Tobias Capwell (Arms and Armor Curator, Wallace Collection) - September 29, 2014
- Three Chivalry Lectures – October 14-16 - September 2, 2014
- Conversation With: Dr. Elizabeth Morrison (J. Paul Getty Museum “Chivalry in the Middle Ages”) - July 7, 2014