Home of Chivalry Today’s
SWORDS OF CHIVALRY
Historical European Martial Arts (HEMA) Program
The study and practice of historical European sword combat (sometimes called HEMA, Western martial arts, historical fencing, or just plain “sword fighting”) is a growing field of study and recreation – an entertaining way to discover a fascinating part of medieval and Renaissance history; get some great physical exercise; and a wonderful place to make some new friends.
San Diego Longsword is the home website of the Swords Of Chivalry HEMA program, a medieval sword-fight coaching and training program that is coordinated by the Chivalry Today Educational Program. Swords Of Chivalry is a series of weekly workshops designed to give students of all ages an opportunity to discover, and eventually master, the surprisingly complex practice of medieval sword fighting. Drawn directly from historical source material – the fight-books or “manuals of defense” from the 14th and 15th centuries – Swords of Chivalry HEMA program lets you experience the skills of a real medieval knight training for battle, duel, and tournament. The Swords Of Chivalry/San Diego Longsword program is a proud member of the national network of HEMA Alliance affiliated training programs.
Who might like Swords of Chivalry‘s HEMA Training?:
- Children who aren’t “into” traditional team sports;
- Video gamers who want to experience the realities of the “power moves” they see on-screen;
- LARP’ers and reenactors who want to bring a new level of authenticity to their activities;
- Parents and children who are looking for a mutual bonding pastime;
- Anyone seeking an exercise activity emphasizing motion, coordination, balance;
- Athletes looking for an interesting cross-training activity;
- Actors and performers seeking an unusual, dynamic style of stage combat.
And, like those knights-in-training of old, the focus of Swords of Chivalry is not just on physical skill, but also on the values of self-discipline, respect, trust, sportsmanship, and honor – the values of the code of chivalry! Each session of Swords of Chivalry is conducted in a safe, supportive environment under the supervision of Scott Farrell (director of the Chivalry Today Educational Program) and his staff of instructors.
Swords of Chivalry HEMA workshops are held weekly at:
- The Team Touche Fencing Center in Sorrento Valley (north-coast San Diego), California, and;
- The Lionheart Fencing Academy in La Mesa (east county San Diego).
Chivalry Today is extremely grateful for support and hospitality of these two world-class athletic facilities.
Come join us for Swords of Chivalry medieval sword-combat training – whether you want to learn to cross swords and spar with fellow students, or just get a low-impact workout through the range-of-motion physical techniques of the art of defense (it’s like yoga with a sword). Classes for adults and youth/teens (10 and up) are held weekly!
You can register easily – just contact the front desk at the fencing facility most convenient for you:
- Contact Team Touche’s registration desk (phone: 858.622.9696), or
- Contact Lionheart Fencing Academy’s front desk (phone: 619.462.2027).
The registration staff at either location can provide you with the details of class schedules and fees. Mention the San Diego Longsword/Swords Of Chivalry website promotion and you’ll get a free introductory lesson (a $25 value). You can also check Chivalry Today’s monthly calendar of events for more details about the Swords Of Chivalry Workshop schedule.
At the Team Touche Fencing Center (located at 11468 Sorrento Valley Rd., Ste, A-1, San Diego, CA 92121) Swords of Chivalry youth/teen workshops are held regularly every Friday, from 5 to 6:30 pm. Swords of Chivalry adult classes are held Sunday mornings from 10:30 to 12.
At the Lionheart Fencing Academy (located at 1331 North Cuyamaca St.; El Cajon, CA 92020) Swords of Chivalry workshops are held Thursday evenings from 4:30 to 7 pm – youth/teen instruction begins at 4:30 pm (60-minute class); adult instruction begins at 5:30 (90-minute class).
Please contact the club to confirm class availability before making plans to attend – classes are occasionally postponed due to holidays and conflicting events.
Scott Farrell is co-author of the book Martial Arts And Philosophy (Open Court Press, 2011). Copies of his book are available at the front desk at both the Team Touché Fencing Center and the Lionheart Fencing Academy, and can be autographed (or, as he says, “personally defaced by the author”) by request at the Swords of Chivalry training sessions. Copies of Martial Arts And Philosophy can be purchased on-line through Amazon.com.
- Building Medieval Plate Armor: An Operator’s Guide Dr. Tobias Capwell - October 23, 2014
- Conversation With: Dr. Tobias Capwell (Arms and Armor Curator, Wallace Collection) - September 29, 2014
- Three Chivalry Lectures – October 14-16 - September 2, 2014