SORRY – THIS PODCAST IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE
Segment 1: Chivalry: Fair or Foul?
- The article “Fair Play as Respect for the Game” was originally published in Vol. 25, issue #1 of the Journal of the Philosophy of Sport, produced by the International Association for the Philosophy of Sport. A reprint of the article can be found in the book Sports Ethics: An Anthology, edited by Jan Boxhill.
Segment 2: Women and Chivalry
- In The Power of Myth, Joseph Campbell includes an exploration of how chivalry increased women’s influence in Western society. Learn more about Joseph Campbell’s scholarship on world mythology and comparative religions at the website of the Joseph Campbell Foundation.
- Stories of female knights in the legends of King Arthur: The Romance of Silence and the Story of Grisandole, which can be found in The Book of King Arthur: Lost Tales of the Round Table
- Details regarding women’s inclusion in medieval orders of knighthood are taken from Orders of Knighthood, Awards and the Holy See by Cardinal Eugene Hyginus
- Another resource (maintained by amateur medievalists) that provides accounts of women warriors in medieval and classical history is the History Forum of the Sword Maiden website.
- Ramon Llull’s Book of Chivalry