In This Episode: Scott interviews Prof. Jennifer R. Goodman-Wollock, author of Chivalry and Exploration: 1298-1630, who talks about how the tales of the Knights of the Round Table and the ideals of the code of chivalry helped fire the drive to explore and discover.
Also: A conversation with Dr. Keith Campbell, co-author of The Narcissism Epidemic: Living In The Age of Entitlement on the cultural and emotional value of humility; and some thoughts on chivalry and the cycles of today’s world.
QuickLinks – Buy the titles from the authors interviewed in this show by using the following links:
- Chivalry And Exploration by Prof. Jennifer Goodman-Wollock
- The Narcissism Epidemic by Dr. W. Keith Campbell and Dr. Jean Twenge
Segment 1: Chivalry and the Cycles of Today’s World
- Read the article Sharing The Road from Westways Magazine, a publication of the Southern California Auto Club;
- Learn more about cycling etiquette in the Road Rights blog from Bicycling Magazine;
- Learn more about the tensions between drivers and cyclists in “Road Rage” Case Highlights Cyclist Vs. Driver Tension from NPR News.
Segment 2: Explorations Of Chivalry – Interview with Prof. Jennifer Goodman-Wollock, author of Chivalry And Exploration: 1298-1630
- Buy Chivalry And Exploration: 1298-1630 by Jennifer R. Goodman(-Wollock)
- Pre-Order Prof. Wollock’s next book Chivalry And Courtly Love In The Middle Ages, due out in 2011, from Greenwood Publishing
Segment 3: Humility, Chivalry and the Narcissism Epidemic
- Buy The Narcissism Epidemic: Living In The Age Of Entitlement by Dr. W. Keith Campbell and Dr. Jean Twenge;
- Visit Dr. Keith Campbell’s website to learn more about his work, teaching and writing;
- Below, Dr. Keith Campbell discusses parenting choices to avoid narcissistic attitudes in children on Canada’s Your Voice television talk show:
[responsive_video type=’youtube’ hide_related=’1′ hide_logo=’1′ hide_controls=’0′ hide_title=’0′ hide_fullscreen=’0′ autoplay=’0′]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8eoXSU3aVU[/responsive_video]
Next month on Episode 38: Prof. Richard Kaeuper, author of Holy Warriors: The Religious Ideology of Chivalry.